Monday 9 October 2017

Guest Blogger October 2017

This month I am so pleased to introduce our Guest speaker Paul Léger. Paul is based in the National Capital Region and our president has known him for a number of years.  He is a member of the Ottawa Modern Quilt Guild and is a gifted quilter and teacher. Like so many of us, Paul started out using Traditional designs and techniques. Now his work shows his love for interpreting simple "objets d'art" into Modern quilt designs.

Paul enjoys arranging and attending the All Guys Quilting Retreat. This group of men have been getting together twice a year for almost 10 years and has grown in numbers. He recently had the opportunity to discuss the retreat with Nancy Zieman! You can see his fantastic interview here.

Paul Léger Quilts





Q & A:


  1. What do you love about (Modern) quilting?

I love solid coloured fabrics. I loved them even before it was fashionable. On some levels, I like the simplicity of some of the modern quilts, and basic geometric shapes.


  1. Where do you draw inspiration?

I’d say that like most people, I am drawn to books and patterns. I am always looking for ideas. I look at building, signs, interlocking bricks, I even look at clothing. You never know from where an idea will come.
  1. What are you currently working on? (Can we have a sneak peek?)

I am currently working on a pattern of a quilt which I made for the Quilts at the Creek show this past July. After posting the quilt on Facebook, there were so many requests for the pattern and workshops, that I had to shift gears. Although it is not a modern quilt, there is a lot of negative space.


  1. Solids or Prints?

Solids all the way, BUT there are a lot of very cool modern prints that I love. One day I will use them, instead of looking at them sitting on my cutting table.


  1. Precuts or Stash?

Mostly stash, but I have been known to get some precuts, especially jelly rolls. I’ve also been known to buy charm packs and layer cakes. One must, when there is a great sale!
  1. Favorite Tool/Trick you can’t live without?

Difficult to answer since I can only pick one. I have so so many tools around my sewing machine and work area. While sewing, I would say that my favorite tool is scissors. If I am at the cutting table, then rulers would win. As for a trick, I have one that I love using when working with diamond shapes and triangles. It involves a piece of ¼” tape.
  1. What’s your Favorite Blog and/or Designer?

I cannot say that I have a favorite Blog or designer. I do have two designers/artists that are from the Ottawa area; Michèle-Renée Charbonneau  (http://quiltmatters.blogspot.ca/); and
Alison Harle (@alisonharle on IG).  They are totally different in what they do, but their works speak to me. I truly admire them both and am always in awe when I see their new pieces.

  1. What’s one thing we should know about you?

I have over a 1000 spools of thread in my studio, and like all quilters, I never have the right colour.



The PEIMQG Is so pleased to announce that we will be hosting Paul Léger for a Trunkshow October 26th, from 7 to 9 pm at the Hillsborough Community Centre - 199 Patterson Dr, Charlottetown, PE, C1A 8P1. The cost of admission, just $5.00 at the door. We hope to see you there.

~ Cathy
















1 comment: